What is the purpose of your life? Brilliant minds throughout history have thought about this topic and come to very different conclusions. Plato and Solomon thought the attainment of knowledge was the primary purpose. Aristotle focused on virtue and the highest good vs. Aristippus of Cyrene who followed the pleasure principle. Nietzsche a lad famous for his depressing view that life was meaningless must have been a real buzz kill at a party. If you are one of these depressing trolls this post is not for you.
So what is your life purpose? It is a deep thought that you probably do not spend a whole lot of time thinking about expect when thinking about your own eventual death. It is easy to muddle along with no clear purpose and live day to day hoping for something more but never really being able to grasp what that something more should be. That is the wrong approach to take though, because without thinking about your purpose you have no foundation with which to develop a life plan to help you reach your goals. The sooner you settle on a life purpose the better.
If you do not even know where to start here are some commonly stated life purposes. These are not mutually exclusive but you will need to prioritize what is most important to you with some kind of ranking system to be able to make an effective life plan
- Live to align with X religious ideology (X being the religious ideas you hold)
- Live for physical pleasure
- Live for material pleasures
- Live to develop certain skills
- Live to acquire knowledge
- Live to acquire different experiences
- Live to help others (do-gooder)
- Live for family
- Live to improve the world around us
- Live to survive another day
If you are living just to survive ask yourself, Doesn’t there have to be more to life then just survival? Unless you are reading this in a war torn or destitute locale the answer should be yes.
My life philosophy tends toward the pragmatic, doing what works to get what I want. What do I want? I am still figuring that out like everyone else but I have set a strong foundation with advanced education completed, a solid career, and a few early stage entrepreneurial efforts on the side.
- When was the last time you thought about your life purpose?
- Do you have a life purpose?
- Is your current lifestyle aligned with your life purpose?
- If your lifestyle is not aligned with your purpose what specific changes do you need to make to bring them closer together?
- If you think life has no purpose how many people do you depress/repel in a given day?